Re: Stupid Q - How do you add WM's to KDM?

On Tuesday 02 January 2001 19:00, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > There it is. I have installed KDM and I don't know how to add XFCE
> > and ICEWM back to the login options (I think they're called
> > sessions). How do I add these window managers to KDM? What file do I
> > need to tweak?
>
> use the normal setup panel (prefs' -> system -> login manager).

If you for example add gnome to it, you have to make sure that there exists a
program called gnome that gets executed when you choose gnome in kdm. Sounds
logical, but the problem is that I wanted to add gnome and I had to add
gnome-session to make it work.
So I made a symlink gnome which points to gnome-session. Now in kdm there is
a choice for gnome, that starts the program gnome-session during login.

Maybe there is another way of doing this, but this is what I did (as root):
ln -s /usr/bin/gnome-session /usr/bin/gnome
Then add gnome using above procedure (prefs->system->login manager) or add
gnome to the SessionTypes in /etc/kde2/kdmrc.

Gerralt