Re: j2sdk build-depends cannot be satisfied?

Hi,

On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 10:12, Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
> [I think this is still topical to both debian-mentors and debian-java.
> Someone tell me if they want it moved to one or the other...]
>
> > gcj is supposed to come with a working jni implementation and comes with
> > gij (GNU Interpreter for Java) for interpreting bytecode. What exactly
> > doesn't work with gcj? Could you please file a bug report?
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html
> > That way we at least know about the issue.
> >
> > Also Kaffe, Kissme and SableVM (all part of Debian now) should be able
> > to run java byte code and jni code.
>
> Wow.  I'm fairly impressed.  It didn't take a lot of screwing around to
> make this work.  I had to go with gcj-3.2, and that forced me to go with
> gcc-3.2 as well, and then I used fastjar to build the jarfiles.  I
> attempted to use gjdoc for Javadoc, with only limited success (more on
> that later).  Anyway, I'm glad you suggested that I look into this. :-)

gjdoc is still very alpha level code. I think your best bet is the
gjdoc-native package (gjdoc compiled with gcj to native code) but I have
to admit that I didn't get it working correctly just now. The biggest
problem is that you will currently need the sources of the core
libraries (which you can get through 'apt-get source classpath'). But
even then it is not easy. You might want to file a bug report or contact
the gjdoc hackers about it <mailto:cp-tools-discuss@gnu.org>.

Note that you can also use the doxygen tool to generate API
documentation. It was originally written to document C++ classes, but
does a decent job on java source file. (Documentation can be found in
doxygen-doc package. Quick start: doxygen -g myconfig; edit myconfig and
search for all relevant java options and input options, don't forget to
set EXTRACT_ALL and RECURSIVE; doxygen myconfig; view html/index.html).

> The gij java runtime would not work for my test case (just some simple
> server/client pairs that come with the nbio distribution) but the kaffe
> runtime did work.  I haven't yet tried the SableVM runtime.

Great! I wouldn't bother with the other java runtimes at the moment.
First make sure that it works with one free vm, create a package and
then just file bug reports with the others that it doesn't work :)
Note, non-debian developer talking, so this might not be how Debian does
it. But if it works with Kaffe and not with gij changes are high that
you have just found a bug in gij.

> The error I got from gij (below my signature) it a little out of my
> league.  I'm not exactly sure what bug I would file... perhaps you can
> make a suggestion?  I'd be happy to do some more digging if you think
> it's worth it.

The stacktraces generated by the interpreter are much more readable in
the next version of gcj (3.3), but that is not released yet (probably
somewhere next year). If you have a simple way to reproduce this then
please send an email of bug report to the java@gcc.gnu.org mailinglist
so I or someone else can help debug it.

> Thanks, all of you, for the help.  Sorry if I'm rambling.  It's 3:00am
> and I should stop hacking and go to bed. :-)

Good night and thanks,

Mark