Re: OT: sorbs blacklisting scam

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 08:31, mimo wrote:
> for a week or so we have been trying to get in touch with the people from
> sorbs blacklist. I wonder does anyone else have experience with dealing with
> them? I know that originally they were running a proper dnsrbl service (if
> you like that kind of stuff) but now it seems they have decided to get
> commercial. You donate to some shady legal defence fund for each spam but
> they can blacklist you at any time again. Worst, I have checked for the email
> that got caught in the spamtrap and it's a bounce back from a forged from
> spam, therefore implying we should just drop emails rather than bouncing.
> Am a bit puzzled.
> Any advice appreciated.

Yes, SORBS is a scam.  We were blacklisted because we rejected
a spam which had been forged to look like it came from one of
their honeypot addresses.  They wanted $50 to remove us from
their RBL.

Hardly anybody uses SORBS anymore so we only had about one
complaint per month of undeliverable mail.  We dealt with
most of these by asking the ISP which was still using SORBS
to check out SORBS blackmail policies.  All but one dropped
SORBS.  After several months, one of our customers actually
convinced SORBS to remove us from their RBL (at no charge).
I don't know how.

SORBS doesn't properly filter or check their listings.  It's
a scam and probably criminal.

--Mike Bird