Re: OT: sorbs blacklisting scam

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 04:31:31PM +0100, mimo wrote:
> for a week or so we have been trying to get in touch with the people from
> sorbs blacklist. I wonder does anyone else have experience with dealing with
> them? I know that originally they were running a proper dnsrbl service (if
> you like that kind of stuff) but now it seems they have decided to get
> commercial. You donate to some shady legal defence fund for each spam but
> they can blacklist you at any time again.

It really depends on which of the SORBS DNSBLs you are on, since
they all have differwent criteria and policies.  what is the IP in
question?

> Worst, I have checked for the email
> that got caught in the spamtrap and it's a bounce back from a forged from
> spam,

Sounds like a listing error then, so you would hope they would
remove it once notified of their mistake.

> therefore implying we should just drop emails rather than bouncing.

Certainly it would be preferable to properly reject email that you
do not wish to accept during the SMTP conversation.

Once you have accepted it if you later decide you don't want it then
yes you must generate a bounce, which can lead to problems like this
not to mention bombarding innocent people with bounces to spam they
never sent.

However I wouldn't go as far as to say that bounced spam is spam
therefore you are a spammer and should be blacklisted.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB