Re: load balancing(2)

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:47:47PM +0100, Volker Tanger wrote:
> For incoming the firewalls simply use DNS Round-Robin on the FW members
> which have to be listed as primary/master servers for the domain in
> question. This way you are independent on network mechanics.

Hi Volker,

If you use round robin DNS, you will have the problem that 50% of your
traffic will disappear, when provider 1 goes down. Yes, you could try and
fix this with changing TTLs, but its messy, and browers, and other DNS servers
which are not in your control, may cache things, even though they shouldnt.

For smaller projects, I would recommend going for 2 connections from 1
provider.

Regards

Andrew