Re: lilo on /dev/hdb to work as /dev/hda

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 04:08:05PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > > I have /dev/hdb that is a mirror of /dev/hda. It is not a image copy
> > > though, so files may be in different sector/cylinder locations.
> > >
> > > I want to be able to pull the /dev/hdb and /dev/hda out; then replace
> > > /dev/hda with this /dev/hdb.
> > >
> > > So when I do this I get Lilo's "L" error message. It can't find the second
> > > stage boot loader.
> >
> > The easiest solution to this problem is to use software RAID-1 for the
>
> Thanks for the idea, but I don't want a real-time snapshot.
>
> Anyways, can lilo be used to setup a boot loader on /dev/hdb so that if
> you physically move it to /dev/hda and boot it will boot successfully?

Yes, this can be done. The trick is you need to tell lilo to install itself
on hdb, boot the kernel on hdb, but pretend that everything is hda. The best
way to do this is;

mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
lilo -r /mnt -b /dev/hdb1 -M /dev/hdb

where /dev/hdb1 is the hdb root partition, and you want to use a normal mbr
with lilo installed in the boot record of that root partition.

> Again, it seems like the bios= option is not relevant, because it really
> will be /dev/hda.
>
> What is the most appropriate mailing list for lilo discussion?
>
> Can grub do what I want?

Grub would make things a little simpler, because it delays any sort of
locating of kernel etc on the disk untill boot time. It can do this because
it is a whole little OS of its own that understands filesystems. Personally
I find grub overkill.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key