Re: Maildir vs mbox

We use sendmail WITH maildir at my site. Mailbox delivery is not a function of
of the MTA per se. At least in the case of sendmail, it is handled by the local
delivery agent (procmail in our case).

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 11:19:48AM -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a client who is using a sendmail system with uw-imap.  They are having
> fairly serious performance problems ... load rarely goes below 2, ssh login
> takes about 20 seconds (this is a P3 500).

You are discussing three separate and unrelated services here: The imapd, sshd,
and sendmail.  I believe that the ssh issues might be even more unrelated
(performance-wise), and at least partly due to DNS resolution and/or
authentication issues.

> The CPU hog seems to be imapd.  Some users have very large mail folders
> (Sent-items particularly), when users with huge folders connect the CPU usage
> on their imapd process is 99%.

Understandable. Sounds like a case for maildir...(and courier-imap if you can handle
a sealed server).

> I am thinking of upgrading them to postfix to take advantage of the maildir
> storage format.  Is the performance of imap likely to increase when using
> maildir ... I plan to use courier-imap.

How did postfix get into this? Anonymous ftp to ftp.carbonmedia.com. Go to the
sendmail-maildir folder. It contains all the software you need and some docs.
Even a "dia" diagram of our mail system configuration. It should start you off
in the right direction with sendmail. (We use pop3 instead of imap, but skip over
that part). We process upwards of 60,000 pieces of email a day with heavy custom
filtering (antivirus, etc.) on a single machine with almost no noticable load.
Here is the output of `w' right now:
 12:16pm  up 51 days, 18:00,  2 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.06, 0.05
This server is fully loaded with lots of websites and mysql, etc.
It is a standard dual-PIII class rack-mount.
I don't know about postfix, but check out the new sendmail-12 betas since you are
setting up a new system. It is awesome!
Cheers.