Re: Maildir vs mbox

* fraser@starnix.com [2001.05.15 10:33]:
> I have a client who is using a sendmail system with uw-imap.  They are having
> fairly serious performance problems ... load rarely goes below 2, ssh login
> takes about 20 seconds (this is a P3 500).
>
> The CPU hog seems to be imapd.  Some users have very large mail folders
> (Sent-items particularly), when users with huge folders connect the CPU usage
> on their imapd process is 99%.
>
> I am thinking of upgrading them to postfix to take advantage of the maildir
> storage format.  Is the performance of imap likely to increase when using
> maildir ... I plan to use courier-imap.
>
> Any experiences or suggestions appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Fraser

I can almost guarantee that you will see a performance increase.  Also
note that you don't have to change to postfix.  You can configure
sendmail to use whatever local delivery agent you want (ie. something
like maildrop http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/).

If it were me, I would use maildrop with sendmail first, and then
replace sendmail with postfix after I have the Maildir+imap figured out.
Anyway, good luck.
--
Cameron Moore