Re: FTP-based Debian install

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, brian moore wrote:

> It says via 'network'
>
> > I did see a note that asked if I wanted to setup PPP because I could use
> > this for the installation -- but this is after the base sets (11
> > floppies?).
> >
> > What do I click on to start installing using just these three floppies?
>
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/compact/

> Boot from rescue, replace with root when it asks.  The rest it can
> download from the 'net.  (You probably don't need the 'driver' disk.)
>
> The installer will grab the base stuff and install it.  You don't have
> to do much more than set up your nic (which has menus, of course) and
> tell it where you want to grab things from (the defaults should work).

Thanks! I should have read the i386 installation documentation more
clearly. It says about "compact":
          These built in drivers allow you to take full advantage of the
          Debian installer's net install feature to install the Driver
          Floppies and/or base system over the network so that only the
          root and Rescue Floppy disks need to be made.

I didn't download the "compact" set I just used the "regular" (i.e.
potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/rescue.bin and
potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.20/root.bin)

I'll give the "compact" sets a try. Thanks again.

  Jeremy C. Reed
  http://bsd.reedmedia.net/  -- BSD news and resources