Re: FTP-based Debian install

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 03:24:12PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, William Suetholz wrote:
>
> > Gee, this is the only way I install Debian now...  I downloaded 3 floppies
> > fromt the net
> > Recovery, Root, Drivers.  And I boot off of them, and with a valid internet
> > account
> > I'm able to download the rest of the install from the internet either with
> > FTP or HTTP.
>
> Thanks for the info. Is this for i386?

Yes.

> Maybe I am missing something. But I just installed a few times with a
> CD and tried a few times just using floppies the past few days.
>
> I don't see any option to retrieve the base sets via FTP or HTTP.

It says via 'network'

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/compact/

> Or do I need to go to shell. And manually (hoping the tools are available
> -- since the base sets aren't installed yet) configure the network and ftp
> all the base set binaries. And then unextract them.

Boot from rescue, replace with root when it asks.  The rest it can
download from the 'net.  (You probably don't need the 'driver' disk.)

The installer will grab the base stuff and install it.  You don't have
to do much more than set up your nic (which has menus, of course) and
tell it where you want to grab things from (the defaults should work).

I haven't tried it with ppp but it certainly works with ethernet.