Re: identd + SOCKS

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 12:59:22PM -0700, John Gonzalez/netMDC admin wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
>
> | > There exists many irc "bounce" programs that may accomplish what you
> | > need. Such as ezbounce, bnc, etc.
> |
> | But do they work with ident? Unfortunately running such a
> | bounce program for each of the client box is not an option for
> | me.
> |
> | regards,
> |
> | Marcin
>
> No, perhaps you should read how the bounce programs, to get a better idea
> of how they work. I envision this setup doing what you need:
>
> Your "bounce" server has a secured LAN side, and an unfiltered (ie, not
> behind the SOCKS/proxy) server side.
>
> You run bnc or ezbounce on this box.
>
> Your customers connect to the bounce box, which is running the
> daemon. This box allows them access to the outside world, bouncing the IRC
> connection. The box itself runs an identd daemon, and the bounce
> daemon. Your regular users run any IRC program they wish, such as MIRC,
> etc.

In this case i would run midentd on the socks-server, a ident-daemon
with masq support(IPadress based).

Depending on what IP the client sits on, behind the socks-server, it will give
the IRC-daemon the correct *!USER@, i.e ident reply.

say the client sits on a non-routeable network such as 192.168.1.0/24 and the
IP is 192.168.1.10, 192.168.1.11.

the midentd.conf would look like this:

192.168.1.10    UNIX    john
192.168.1.11    UNIX    mike