Re: mail sorting tool

On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 00:03:17 +1100, Jeremy Lunn writes:

>Which makes me think, if your their provider, why not give them a static
>IP Address?

this is where the salesmen came into play :/

is they have a static IP, we cannot limit them in the number of
 recipients (which _I_ do not want, but the salesforce does). this way,
 they get _all_ their mail via our queue (and they have to set up each
 &every mailaddress with us <ARGH>).

most of our smtp-queuing customers do have a static IP, though. but
 they´re also the ones with unlimited queues.

>Surely the bulk of customers wanting this sort of service would be
>businesses who'd need to be connected long enough that giving them a
>static IP address is viable.  For the remaining ones, I don't see what's
>wrong with UUCP.

how do you spell uucp with exchange? I don´t know, I don´t want to
 know. but chances are that you cannot.

>  Surely it can't be enough to even bother messing with
>your MTA's source code

why bother with the source if all you have to do is set up your rules
 ;-) . our setup is ldap-only since ~ 2 years, so that kind of things
 are quite easy to implement.

> and if they are too dumb I'd rather let them use
>pop as long as the envelop headers are added as a X-header (for example
>with Craig Sander's script http://taz.net.au/postfix/vpop/).

we haven´t had the need, but it´d be no problem if a customer asked.

cheers,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /