Re: mail sorting tool

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 01:12:23PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > > Does your ISP offer some kind of smtp-queuing? We do (mail is put into
> > > a queue, there?s a script watching the dialin-logs, when it sees that
> > > there?s a queue for that user, sendmail is started with on-the-fly
> > > rewritten options for that queue, eg smarthost set to the dynamic IP).
>
> The main problem with that approach is that it binds access with mail. You
> need to use the same provider for both. While, with UUCP over TCP, you can
> have an access provider which is close (i.e. cheap) and a mail provider
> anywhere on the Internet. This is specially important in third-world countries
Which makes me think, if your their provider, why not give them a static
IP Address?

Surely the bulk of customers wanting this sort of service would be
businesses who'd need to be connected long enough that giving them a
static IP address is viable.  For the remaining ones, I don't see what's
wrong with UUCP.  Surely it can't be enough to even bother messing with
your MTA's source code and if they are too dumb I'd rather let them use
pop as long as the envelop headers are added as a X-header (for example
with Craig Sander's script http://taz.net.au/postfix/vpop/).

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia