Re: ip6tables and connection tracking

On Mon, 31 May 2004, [ISO-8859-15] Jörg Schütter wrote:

> Hello Fabio,
>
> On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:37:24 +0200 (CEST)
> Fabio Massimo Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net> wrote:
>

> > Hi all guys,
> > 	I just finished a push to our ipv6 mirrors of a new iptables
> > package.
> > This package adds support for ipv6 connection tracking (from USAGI
> > project). BE AWARE that the i could perform only a few tests on it and
> > it might not work everywhere.
>
> I'm using your iptables and the kernel patch from USAGI and it works
> fine on my system. Since ipv6 is stateful I can try to connect to
> freenet6.net and test the ip protocol of the next generation.

cool! thanks for reporting!

> There are a lot of packages on your homepage which has additional ipv6
> patches. But why are official debian packages shipped without the ipv6
> support enabled? It's only a additional flag or something for the
> maintainer to make them ipv6-ready.

Well there are several reasons. Sometimes packages need external patches
to support ipv6. My target is generally to have them accepted upstream
first and debian later. With our archive we provi experimental packages
for testing. In this way both the Debian maintainer and Upstream can
verify that the patch is working as it should.

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.