RE: Actual Apache2 Packages with working php packages

Pim van Pelt [mailto:pim@bit.nl] wrote:

> | > We've got apache2 and php4-apache2 packages for both stable
> | > and unstable
> | > on ftp.luon.net (deb ftp://luon.net/debian/ {un,}stable main).
> | >
> | > The only problem we have with them is that a apache2
> | > restart/reload will
> | > causes a segmentation fault, but YMMV.
> |
> | The reason for which is because you are using 4.2.x.
> | Only 4.3.x of PHP4 supports Apache2 properly.
> | The problem with <4.3.x is that there is interference
> | with some of the _modules_ of php which aren't thread safe
> | The modules that one notices it the most are the database ones.
> | Unfortunatly Debian still doesn't have any php4 4.3.x packages.
> | Thus on debian apache2 + php4-cgi, that simply works as a cgi is
> | only one thread and thus no problems with multithreading etc.
> The problem with threaded approach on Apache2 is that almost
> none of the libraries you're linking with are threadsafe. Simply use
the prefork approach in Apache2 and you won't have problems with
> threading (because it's simply turned off :-)

Indeed you'll still need to run it in prefork mode, but the 4.3.x
branch includes several fixes that avoid the problems observed and
simply make the apache2/php4 combo 'stable' which under 4.2.x it
certainly is not.

Greets,
 Jeroen