Re: Actual Apache2 Packages with working php packages

| > We've got apache2 and php4-apache2 packages for both stable
| > and unstable
| > on ftp.luon.net (deb ftp://luon.net/debian/ {un,}stable main).
| >
| > The only problem we have with them is that a apache2
| > restart/reload will
| > causes a segmentation fault, but YMMV.
|
| The reason for which is because you are using 4.2.x.
| Only 4.3.x of PHP4 supports Apache2 properly.
| The problem with <4.3.x is that there is interference
| with some of the _modules_ of php which aren't thread safe
| The modules that one notices it the most are the database ones.
| Unfortunatly Debian still doesn't have any php4 4.3.x packages.
| Thus on debian apache2 + php4-cgi, that simply works as a cgi is
| only one thread and thus no problems with multithreading etc.
The problem with threaded approach on Apache2 is that almost none of the
libraries you're linking with are threadsafe. Simply use the prefork
approach in Apache2 and you won't have problems with threading (because
it's simply turned off :-)

I don't see how PHP4.3 can be totally thread safe (and I don't very much
trust people who say that it is), as it's linked with non-reentrant libs.

Use prefork.

groet,
Pim
--