Re: Different translations for a single string in debian installer

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 06:55:12PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 23/10/2006, at 2:31 PM, Christian Perrier wrote:
> >>the Debian Installer uses the string "none" in various packages
> >>but only
> >>one translation can be provided for all these:
> >>
> >>Now I noticed that the grammar requires slightly different
> >>translations
> >>dependant on the usage. Any way to reach this?
> >
> >Yes, but breaking the string freeze. Even if it is officially over,
> >I'd prefer not changing any string unless some *other* thing in D-I
> >explicitely requires it. I would call that a "soft" string freeze.

I don't know what you mean here. It would require manual work to unfuzzy
this (which could be done by one person, e.g. me) and (re??)building
affected packages (which is the real work).

I don't think this is necessary now, but I also don't see a big problem
with it. You unfuzzied in the past already many strings.

> >To have all these "none" being different msgid's woul dneed to use
> >brackets to make the difference:
> >
> >For example
> >
> >msgid "none[ case 1, none refers to partition ]"
> >
> >msgid "none[ case 2, non refers to disk ]"

Ah, thanks, I have never seen this before. I know about special
"string|comment" constructs in C/C++ programs such as aptitude (which
required a patch from me to work :-)).

> If we can't use msgctxt yet, can't we put the context into the
> comment fields instead?

I don't know it either.

> Putting context into the msgid field only causes confusion. Too
> often, translators end up  translating it or retaining it, both of
> which are incorrect, as you said further down.

Without these comments in the msgid it requires a special handling in
the synchronisation script to avoid merging the single "none" into
various package files which is probably not good.

Probably many persons did not checked yet whether the translation of "none"
and maybe other strings matchs the usage. I noticed it also yesterday
the first time even after a few test installations (also from other
persons).

Possible translations of "none":
 kein
 keine