Re: debian-ddtp and rosetta

Christian Perrier wrote:
:::: I have seen this sort of statement before and
:::: noticed that if many users just start accepting
:::: non-free software just because it's been pledged,
:::: it seems to take even longer to become free
:::: software (two examples which come to mind:
:::: latex2html and t7e). The "when it's ready" maxim
:::: also sort of

:: Well, while not going as far as MJ is doing by
:: implicitely stating that non-free software is
:: unacceptable at all (I happen to live in the
:: real world and deal with real users daily....:-))),
:: I must mention that in the case of Rosetta, the
:: tool being non-free makes it a complete no-no for
:: translations in Debian.

	Seconded. :)

:: Moreover, the existence of the Pootle tool, which
:: has the exact same goals than Rosetta, gives us an
:: free alternative...

:: Actually, I dream of Mark realizing this and merge
:: the effort on Rosetta with those on Pootle (moreover,
: telling him that Pootle people are mostly ZA people
:: could help..:-)) and avoid getting two concurrent
:: project with the exact same goal.

	At this point, do you believe that is easier
try to add DDTP features inside Pootle (mail control
system, review proccess, bug control), instead of
try to expand it and make it ready to share information
with Pootle?

[...]
:::: In the meantime, it looks like there's several
:::: free softwares for this, so what's the attraction
:::: of rosetta anyway? ;-)

:: Because Ubuntu uses it and most of us want to have
:: a good collaboration with Ubuntu, especially when
:: it comes at localisation.

:: So, even if not using it (and we probably won't),
:: dealing with it toavoid duplicated work is important.

	If it generates potfiles, we could try to figure
out some way to automatically parse it?

	Kind regards,

- --
// Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <felipe@cathedrallabs.org>