Re: debian-ddtp and rosetta

Michael Vogt <michael.vogt@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I read in the archive that you are worried about rosetta because it is
> non-free. I talked to Mark about it and he said it will become free
> software eventually. There is just no fixed date yet ("when it's
> ready" probably). I hope you reconsider using rosetta given that it
> will become free software and that all data (pot/po) and most tools
> (apt-ddtp-tools, apt-ddtp) are freely available now.

I have seen this sort of statement before and noticed that
if many users just start accepting non-free software just
because it's been pledged, it seems to take even longer
to become free software (two examples which come to mind:
latex2html and t7e). The "when it's ready" maxim also sort of
goes against "release early, release often", so development
can end up chilling, although I doubt this is a problem for
Ubuntu. Similarly, hopefully copyright assignment means it's
straightforward to relicense even later.

Please, bring rosetta back to debian-i18n "eventually"
(when it's free software), not before.

In the meantime, it looks like there's several free softwares
for this, so what's the attraction of rosetta anyway? ;-)

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/
http://people.debian.org/~mjr/