Re: [?] internationalizing shell scripts

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

> On 16 May 2002, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>
> > I'd swear I saw it fly by on one of the debian lists I subscribe to,
> > but now I can't find it for the life of me.
> >
> >   How do I internationalize my shell scripts?
> >
> > The C parts of the package are already using AM_GNU_GETTEXT if that
> > makes a diference.
> >
> > Please tell me what FM2R and I'll happily do so.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> if [ -x /usr/bin/gettext ]; then
>   echo=/usr/bin/gettext
> else
>   echo="echo -n"
> fi
> export TEXTDOMAIN=libc
> $echo "cheese"
> echo ""
>
> $ LANG=es_ES; ./test-script
> queso

Thanks!  It looks like this is the more portable version.  The other
two suggestions require bash and although that is not really a problem
it would be nice to be able to use any /bin/sh compatible shell.

Now, how would I integrate this with my automake/autoconf/gettext
build machinery ...
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            Epson Kowa Corporation, CID
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH