Re: Setting up the pfinet translator

Hiran Watson wrote:
Hi,

[snip]

I received the following error:
/hurd/pfinet: eth0: (os/device) no such device
settrans: /hurd/pfinet: Translator died

It means GNU Mach did not see your card properly at
boot time. Check GNU Mach output with :

# cat /dev/klog > log
(wait a few seconds and interrupt with C-c)

Don't forget to redirect to a file, because once you've
read the contents, it's gone forever.

If you can't see an error, check that your card is supported,
and the driver compiled-in. Try to get GNU Mach sources at
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnumach/ and
check that the correct driver is in debian/rules.

I then remembered briefly seeing something during the final reboot and
startup about couldn't locate an eth0 (I think the message was to that
effect), so I tried:
cd /dev
./MAKEDEV eth0

As on Linux-based systems, you don't have a /dev/eth0. It's an interface
directly provided by the kernel.

Cheers,

--
Manuel Menal