Setting up the pfinet translator

Hi, I recently installed Debian GNU/Hurd using the install guide from
web.walfield.org, and www.debian.org, but have encountered some
difficulty with setting up the network.

I'm currently running Debian (GNU/Linux) unstable w/ Grub, and so
added the install commands to Grub's menu before rebooting (so I
wouldn't type them wrong). I added the -s option as I was installing
the Hurd. I then rebooted to the Hurd (this was after extracting the
latest debian-hurd tar file), ran native-install, rebooted again, ran
native-install a second time, and rebooted a final time, leaving out
the -s option. I then logged in as root (and after adding a regular
user), tried to set up the network.

I am using a hardware router, so my command was:
settrans -fgrap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a 192.168.2.5
-g 192.168.2.1 -m 255.255.255.0

I received the following error:
/hurd/pfinet: eth0: (os/device) no such device
settrans: /hurd/pfinet: Translator died

I then remembered briefly seeing something during the final reboot and
startup about couldn't locate an eth0 (I think the message was to that
effect), so I tried:
cd /dev
./MAKEDEV eth0

I received the following error:
./MAKEDEV: eth0: Unknown device name

Any advice or help on this issue? I have updated apt's sources.list
file, but can't obviously update since I have no network access. Also,
how would I check the startup messages once I'm logged in? I believe
there's a .log file in /var that I can check, but which one would I
check? I was thinking of checking and confirming about the startup
message referring to eth0, but wasn't able to.

Thanks for the help.

God bless
Hiran

PS. I used to be in computer science, and have done some programming,
but not in C/C++, and am not much of a hacker (at the moment). Also,
even though I run Debian sid, I am an intermediate at linux and
*nix-type oses in general. Thus, I do not know how much help I will be
able to contribute to the Hurd project, but I will be running it for
fun from time to time, and thus invariably testing it out by trying to
run software, etc. If anything happenes, I will let you guys know.
Also, I am hoping to eventually get more into the programming side of
things, and am sure will down the road have questions regarding that.
I'm just letting everyone know where I'm coming from, and if anyone
cares, why I'm running Hurd - basically because I like a challenge. :)