Re: sysvinit and hurd

   A while ago, a couple of base packages were only available on
   ftp.gnuab.org and crosshurd needed ftp.gnuab.org to work
   properly. I haven't checked lately, perhaps matters have changed.

As I said, alpha.gnu.org in the good old days was just a temporary
dump site for quick hacks.  The less it is supported the better
infact.  On a "perfectly" working Debian system you should only need
to have ftp.debian.org in your sources.list, nothing else.