Re: Hurd boot problems

> Try adding more swap.  That usually solves most zalloc panics.

/dev/hdb1   *           1        1767     1948086   83  Linux
/dev/hdb2            1768        2653      976815   82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb3            2654        3840     1308667+  83  Linux

I increased swap to 1 gb.  I reinstalled Hurd, since I broke it real good.  It
went smooth.  I ran '/cdrom/upgrade/install.sh' and that went fine.  I
'settrans -gf /cdrom' afterwards per the "Cook Book."  I  'mount /cdrom'
again and '/cdrom/upgrade/gui.sh' answer questions and 'settrans -gf /cdrom'.
'startx' failed for numerous reasons and the box froze.  I reset the box and
tried again as regular user, "permission denied" and to that I haven't
figured out where to set my permissions.  I tried 'startx' as root again and
it failed with numerous reasons and froze.  So, I reset the box and begin
research in the console mode.  I 'apt-get install lynx-cur' and that works
real nice.  'lynx' sends me to debian.  I begin searching archives.
Subscribe to debian-users list, probably a better place to submit my silly
questions than here ;-) and then I try and pine my way to a confirmation
letter from the debian users list, and since pine no bash I 'apt-get install
pine' and the package was not available.  I then 'man mail' to learn what
client I should use to fetch my mail, and the machine grinds to a screaching
halt!  Enter the error:  Panic:  zalloc ipc ports exhausted.  What am I doing
wrong?  Sorry, about the excessive verbage.  I just wanted to describe the
things I had done prior to the error.  After the panic the machine rebooted
itself, but I came to my linux installation to ask for help, so I don't know
the extent of the damage.  I am gonna try and reboot the Hurd now.
Later
Ron