Re: Hurd boot problems

   I increased swap to 1 gb.  I reinstalled Hurd, since I broke it
   real good.

Did you activate the swap partition in Debian GNU/Hurd?  swapon
/dev/hdXXX should do the trick, and then you can use vmstat to see how
much you have free.

   I begin searching archives.  Subscribe to debian-users list,
   probably a better place to submit my silly questions than here ;-)

Anything about Debian GNU/Hurd is better to post to debian-hurd
really...

   and then I try and pine my way to a confirmation letter from the
   debian users list, and since pine no bash I 'apt-get install pine'
   and the package was not available.

Pine is non-free software; which is why it isn't avaiable.  Mutt is a
nice client if you don't wish to use Rmail/VM/Gnus in Emacs.