Re: About the login shell

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 04:49:41PM -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:
> Marcus these are my feelings exactly.  I think having to type login to
> login is redundant.

Well, it's easy enough to change.

> Just like win2k where you type ctrl-alt-del (which
> according to MS improves security), before you login.

It does!  You should always do that, especially if you are using a shared
terminal (like one in a public computer pool).  It's very important to avoid
being tricked into entering the password into a faked login program.

We should have a similar feature in the console client when it is done.

> I think the normal case is logining,

Normal for what? :)  Remember that we are developing the GNU system for the
first time here, we have yet to determine what is the normal case.

> and that is someone wants to use some other feature with
> out loging in first, then they should be the one that has to do something
> different.  How about they hit F12, then they get what is now the default?

Well, there is an idea about having a login prompt that allows you to drop
into a no-user login shell.  This could be a good third option, or an
argument switch for the existing login prompt program.

> just a thought...I mean on my computers that don't have 'net access root
> doesn't even have a password.  Use security when you need it, and
> conveince when you can.

Everybody agrees with that, I suppose :)

We should definitely disable it for remote access by default.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/