Re: Debian packages moved from alph.gnu.org into mirror system?

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 04:27:34PM +0200, Patrick Strasser wrote:
> It looks like the dists/sid/local/binary-hurd-i386/ directory contains
> the files that were on alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian/ when the image was
> produced. Now some of these packages seem to be on the Debian mirrors.

Can you give me a list?  Wait.  First check if those file really still are
at alpha.gnu.org :)

> This is crucial for generating the templates. The template needs to know
> where to get the files from. If the files are moved they cannot be
> included in the image being reconstructed and renders the image almost
> certainly useless.

That is a pity.  Why is the software not smart enough to just have several
resources listed and pick the first that has any given package?
alpha.gnu.org should in general take precedence, but we will remove and add
packages to it without further notice to fix bugs or to obsolete a work
around.

> If I know a position the moved file can be expected to appear again,
> things are not that bad anymore.

Well, packages are either on alpha.gnu.org, or on the normal Debian mirror.

> Additionally, can someone please explain the typical life cycle of an
> Debian/Hurd package?

Normally, we just use the standard Debian archive.  However, sometimes we
upload packages to alpha.gnu.org.  This is usually for one of two reasons:
1. The Debian version doesn't compile without changes, and takes a long
   time to fix.
2. We need a dummy package to fix broken dependencies, like versioned
   dependencies on libc6-dev packages, which take a long time to fix, too.

This happens spontaneous, as we find such issues.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/