Re: where do NEW packages go?

Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:

> You're being massively inconsistent.

Not really.

> First you say that we should say "GNU/Linux" instead of "Linux",

That's because the "user-space" functionality is that of GNU (ok, that
can be debated elsewhere, but that's the motivation for the
"GNU/Linux" terminology).

> Then you say that GNU is a different operating system.

That's because the "kernel" stuff is radically different, both in
design and implementation. And because the traditional
kernel/user-space distinction is much different.

> You can't have it both ways.

Some important parts are the same. Other important parts are very
different. Those are (some of) the facts of the matter. Then, is the
whole system different or not? That depends on how you define "whole",
"system" and "different", but I think I'll prefer to stay away from
such linguistic issues for now.

>From a practical point of few, the systems will look quite similar to
a user, but quite different to a hacker. And debian's audience
includes both users and hackers, right?

/Niels