Relocatable packages

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 09:18:50PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On 19 May 2002, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > A given file should normally be in the same place on every Debian
> > system. I think this is a principle that everyone can live with.
>
> Explain that to the hurd developers who want them in different
> places.

In an attempt to give some constructive input to this discussion:

We could solve this and other problems by allowing packages' files to
be installed in a location which is only determined at install time:

- Always install binaries in /bin on hurd
- Install certain packages in an NFS-exported location on a server
- Install multiple versions of packages simultaneously (hairy)
- No more "/usr/doc"-style transitions - just change the path once in
  the package tools

In practice, this won't be easy - packages would need to be changed,
e.g. to include an install script which invokes
install_binary/install_data etc commands. But maybe it's something
worth considering as a long-time goal.

Cheers,

  Richard

--