Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 02:14:33PM +0200, Jan Niehusmann wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 12:59:53PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > But we were just talking about respect here, not about procedures. So
> > care to explain why I don't get respect in the Debian community and I
> > do get respect in the GNU community?
>
> I assume you have been active in the GNU community for a while. So
> the people there know you for your contributions and you gained their
> respect.
>
> OTOH, most people in the debian community only know your postings to
> debian-devel, which where not exactly well suited to gain respect.

It's about 1.5 years ago that I installed the Hurd and I'm on the Hurd
mailinglists for a year and 2 month now. I haven't been active in the
GNU community before that. It's just that there is a different between
*having respect* and *treating somebody with respect*. IMHO even if
you don't know anybody you have to treat him/her with respect. At
least that what they learned me.

And about my contributions, if I remember correctly the only thing I
did are some fixed to oskit-mach and the OSKit. But I have read a lot
about the Hurd and other things so I know where I'm talking about,
it's just that it takes a lot of time to understand the Hurd and all
the different issues around it. With doing this I learned that a lot
of thing I'm annoyed with on GNU/Linux are just bugs in the design (if
you can speak of a design at all).

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects