Re: Filing Hurd-porting patches in the BTS or upstream? (was: where do...)

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 05:54:28PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> If there is a portable solution, it is preferred over the more system
> specific solutions.  There are several people in Debian GNU/Hurd who have a
> copy of POSIX and experience in writing portable programs and can help out
> on such issues, and everybody who is working on porting issues should feel

Yes - it's just that that's not always happening.  Actually, one thing
that one of the other ports used to have (and perhaps still has) was a
web page with common portability problems and suggested fixes.
Something like that might come in very handy.

> free to ask there what the best approach is.  (BTW, It's better to not trust the
> Linux man pages too much.  The "conforming to" information is useful, but
> the man pages in general are not reliable).

It's mostly the "conforming" information I use them for.