Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 07:42:26PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Sun, 19 May 2002, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > > Note the difference between 'GNU/Hurd' and 'Debian GNU/Hurd'.
> >
> > I see totally no reason why those have to be incompatible.
>
> ... and I see totally no reason why those have to be compatible, from a
> filesystem point of view. And IIUC, lot of Debian Developers feel so with
> me.

I see 2 reasons:
1) GNU and BSD are compatible with each other, GNU/Linux is the one
   who isn't.
2) It will cause that you can't run normal *BSD binaries on Debian *BSD.
3) Having libexec isn't incompatible with the FHS if I'm right. And if
   it is it wouldn't harm anybody as you can still install LSB
   packages even if a libexec directory exist. If I'm right, RedHat
   has libexec too (or at least used to have). :-))

Anyhow, I'm just get told on #debian-devel that the Hurd should be
ported to Debian instead and Debian shouldn't change. They say policy
is more important than ABI compatibility with existing systems. I wish
the BSD people a lot of luck, I'm happy to be out of here.

Good bye Debian Developers (I just unsubscribed from debian-devel and
will only reply to things mailed to debian-hurd or me).

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects
GNU supporter - http://www.gnu.org