Re: Hurd naming

* Joachim Nilsson <crash@vmlinux.org> [020513 09:25]:
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 07:49:42AM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> > "In the GNU system, Mach is the base of a functional multi-server operating
> > system, the Hurd."
>
> With Marcus comment on the subject fresh in mind, how about:
>
> "In the GNU system [the] Mach [kernel] serves as an abstraction
> of the actual hardware the Hurd [operating system] runs on."
>
> Or, with the following mixed in there somehow:
>
> "Thus, Mach provides the GNU system with a simple enough base for
> building the operating system of the future -- the Hurd."
>
> Just a couple of ideas I needed to get out of my head.

Thanks for the comments, Marcus.

Well, this isn't about the TWiki per se so I changed the subject.  I
also don't understand why Robert keeps replying to messages sent to
lists like bug-hurd yet sending the replies only to debian-hurd, but
whatever.  Now that you've changed the venue I'll follow along.

The trouble with the GNU term is that GNU/Linux and GNU/Mach are terms
being actively promoted.  I feel the GNU term without either one is way
to ambiguous for regular users.

Also, did you look at the paragraph used at the (now) top of
http://hurd.gnu.org as a reference?

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <grantbow@grantbow.com>