Re: installing baseHurd over the network

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 07:46:19PM +0200, Thomas Hofer wrote:

> I want to take a (quick) look at the hurd, but I ran into some troubles.
> I've got an E1 image and I'd like to know if a H2-image would take me
> further.

We went recently through an ABI change in glibc, I suggest that you
take the latest tarball from alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian-libio/gnu-*tgz
and install GNU from there, since the old system is non-upgradable.

> The PC is a 486/66 with 12MB RAM, 2GB HD, floppy but no CDROM.

The Hurd likes swap, with so little RAM you should realy give it a lot.
Since partition sizes are limited to ~1 GB, setting the rest for swap
might be a good idea.

> Since the PC has no CDROM, I'd like to install everything over the
> network (from my local server). E1 doesn't support this. Does H2
> support a network-install? Is 12MB RAM still enough for a H2-install?

You can fetch the tarball into your server and dump it to a local port
using netcat, then boot the install system and create a temporary
ext2 filesystem where you want the swap. Get netcat into that box and
untar the GNU base system from your server (through netcat), passing
-p and --same-onwer to tar. You'll need a GRUB floppy to boot then.

> When I first tried E1 on another machine that has two BSD partitions, I
> encountered a strange behaviour: cfdisk-partitioning was normal, but
> the debian-installer counted partitions inside of the BSD disklabels as
> hdaxx-partitions, and so e.g. hda5 became hda9. I assume this is a
> kernel-feature the installer isn't aware of. Does anyone know if this
> strangeness regarding BSD-partitions still exists in H2 or woody?

I don't know if the Linux build that ships with the installer supports
disklabels and/or UFS. If you have a native BSD system there, better
use it to untar the GNU base tarball manualy.

Cheers,

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992