Re: New packages gnumach, hurd, glibc

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 05:44:31PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
> > You must update hurd along with glibc, or the system will not boot.  The
> > dependencies don't tell that.
>
> Any particular reason why libc0.2 does not >= depend this hurd,
> or conflict with older ones?

Yes, there is no promise on our side to make sure the dependencies
are sane.  I really don't think we should even make an attempt to
provide a sane upgrade path.  The reasons are that we have not released
anything yet, the userbase is quite small, and we will definitely break
the libc ABI completely anyway when we do the switch from stdio to libio
(and/or to pthreads).  Then we will have to recompile the whole archive,
and any such clues become obsolete.

Another reason is that this is really a bug in the Hurd package,
and I have a dislike against work arounds for bugs in a package to
be in other, unrelated packages.  It also requires an effort of the libc
maintainer and some time to propagate, which is really not worth it for
the above reasons.

This is my opinion.  If someone files a bug report agianst the glibc package
to conflict with all old versions, I would not object.  I just don't want
to go through the trouble personally.

> Apart from that nit, it's great that we have a recent libc again!
>
> Together with the fixed pam, this leaves only the randomness problems
> on the ssh issue list.

I have a random translator, which I can include in the package.  We just
need to find a way to get good randomness.  If someone could make a port
of egd to the Hurd, which is started at bootstrap and copies good entropy
to /dev/random, this would be all that is needed.

(My /dev/random expects good entropy to be written to it, and delivers
one byte of random for each byte of entropy written to it.  There is no
polling of randomness, which I would prefer to be in a generic libchannel).

Thanks,
Marcus