Re: 30% of the archive compiled

Jeff Bailey <jbailey@nisa.net> writes:

> 2) Startup time on the turtle is about 30 minutes.  Sometimes it can
> take up to another hour for it to seek to where it left off.

Whoa, that's evil.

> I think I could improve that by not 'scp -R'ing. Apparently piping a
> tar through ssh is far better, and if someone wants to improve my
> script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> ssh -l jbailey www.debian.org rm -rf public_html/oasis/*
> scp -r /mnt/hurd-disk1/html-dir/* jbailey@www.debian.org:public_html/oasis
>
> feel free.

Have you tried rsync? Should work painlessly over ssh. (I think it uses
rsh by default, but my rsh is really ssh, so I don't know how to
configure otherwise. should be easy enough, though.) I figure that
most of the files are unchanged, so this could work fast.

> (ps - ssh appears to work wonderfully. Is there a trick to getting
> sshd working? <grin>)

What problems are you encountering?

* My sshd complains about lacking randomness and won't start!

Since we have no good random device, the daemon is scrounging bits
from system utilities. These are often not enough. Try a few times, do
different

* Connections are refused, and a silly message about IP options is
  logged instead.

libc problem fixed in CVS. Of course, newest glibc versions are known
to prevent the Hurd from booting. So you may have more luck with my
patched 2.2.2 version on
<URL:http://pluto.tuwien.ac.at/~robbe/debian/hurd/libc0.2_2.2.2-1.robbe_hurd-i386.deb>
(md5sum: 6347b84fb48c25b9387f11af705770a3) Or compile yourself with
the "getsockopt.patch" in the same directory.

* A session starts fine, but is immediately terminated before a shell
  comes up.

Comment out the line about pam_limits.so in "/etc/pam.d/ssh".

--
Robbe