Re: interesting NFS behaviour [was Re: interesting ORBit behavior]

    Paul> I notice that I am getting several 10s of files of the sort:
    Paul> .nfs8052fb8gnu.0 in (it seems) nfs mounted directories in
    Paul> which I have run commands.

This sounds like it could be normal NFS delete behaviour.

Under NFS, any file that gets deleted, is, errr... deleted.
Immediately.  Regardless of if it is open or close, because NFS is
stateless, and doesn't understand those concepts.

This differs from Unix semantics though, where a file is only deleted
when the last process stops using it.

The Unix delete behaviour is simulated under NFS to by renaming the
file to .nfs* if it is still open. It should get deleted when the last
process closes the file (unless of course the client computer crashes
with the file still open...). This way, the standard Unix behaviour is
almost emulated, without too much breakage (although differences still
exist which can break some software).

If the file still exists, is not opened by any process (on any client
computer), and your computer has not crashed, then there probably is a
bug somewhere.

I have no idea what file it is, but you can always manually inspect it
to find out.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>