interesting NFS behaviour [was Re: interesting ORBit behavior]

    Roland> The really interesting question to me is why it worked
    Roland> some of the time and not the rest of the time.  But you
    Roland> might not be as interested in that as I am.

        I would like to add that I had seen very similar problems
      myself when building swig on nfs.  I followed the ldd examples
      and got the same problem:

maybelline ~/gnu/SWIG1.3a5> LD_DEBUG=libs,files /lib/ld.so.1 --list ./swig
00162:  file=./swig;  generating link map
./swig: error while loading shared libraries: ./swig: failed to map
segment from shared object: Error 1073741869

Yesterday, this happened (not consitently):
$ ../../../swig
cd ../../../
$ ./swig
 Must specify an input file. Use -help for available options.

And again just now, as I scroll up the terminal, I have:
maybelline ~/gnu/SWIG1.3a5> ./swig
 Must specify an input file. Use -help for available options.

Right now, I get:
maybelline ~/gnu/SWIG1.3a5> ./swig
Killed

(I have done nothing in between other than run ldd things).

I notice that I am getting several 10s of files of the sort:
.nfs8052fb8gnu.0 in (it seems) nfs mounted directories in which I have
run commands.

        HTH,

        Paul.

--