Re: Hurd F1 ISO and booting

> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:04:33AM -0400, Russell Francis wrote:
> > I am rather new to the list but, if you are thinking of new ways to
> > package and distribute a shiny new Hurd system I have a suggestion.
> > I used to use FreeBSD and I absolutely loved the ports collection!
> > You simply change to the directory of the program you want and type
> > make install.  It fetches the source, builds it and installs it.  It
> > was by far the easiest system to maintain ever.  I think the
> > Hurd could benefit a great deal from a system much like the BSD ports
> > collection.
> >

> This what apt-get does. When you type apt-get install <package> it downloads
> the binary packages and installs it and with apt-get -b source <package> it
> downloads the sources and build the package for you.
>
> Jeroen Dekkers
The ports collection is similar, except that it downloads the source,
applies system specific patches (great for the Hurd!) and recompiles
if necessary. I think that referring to the original sources, whereever
they are in the 'Net is a pretty good way. Of course, pkg_add can handle
binary packages (a.k.a precompiled ones) as well.

Anyway, we'll have to wait for Dan to finish the ppp port for this
to be really useful (at least to modem people) as well as for some
imporvements in filesystem access latency and fork() for big compiles ;-)

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net