Re: Hurd F1 ISO and booting

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 12:18:08PM -0600, Brad Marks wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 01:43:28PM +0200, Andreas L. Gustafsson wrote:
> > > Huh!? Is there two different kernels available? I think Uhurd has a big
> > > documentation problme. This ought to be mentioned on some webpage.
> > >
> > > What is diffrent? Which one do I need for what functionality.
> > Which one is
> > > the Debian/Hurd distro building on? (both? why?)
> >
> > If you don't know already about oskit-mach, you don't need it.
> >

> I'll bet a lot of people have been asking this question though, there
> couldn't be any harm in having it documented right?

Absolutely not. Have a go at it ;)

> If we had better documentation on the web pages, developers would spend less
> time answering the same old questions and less people would have to dig
> through the list archives for answers. Certainly not the highest priority,
> but it would give everybody a break.

Developers will spend as much time on answering questions as they want, and
ignore them otherwise. The questions also give us input what priorities the
users have.

> I've just finished finals and I'm looking for somewhere to contribute (as I
> imagine a lot of people will be). Writing some documentation seems like a
> good place to start since I don't have any useful coding skills, but I don't
> like the idea of just posting my work on my own site somewhere [1]. What
> would be involved in getting bug fixes or new additions into hurd.gnu.org ?
> What sort of format should these be in?

Right, documentation is best written by people like you who are figuring it
out right now. There is a hurd-docs mailing list somewhere which is
concentrating on the web pages. You are welcome to contribute there. If it
turns out that you should get direct write access to the web pages, you will
get it.

> Also, where do you want these bug reports posted? Seems like a lot of spam
> to the list if it's just a broken link or spelling error or whatever else..
> is there someone in particular who's maintaining the web pages that this
> mail should go to?

The list is fine, it's a bug like any other bug. The people in question will
see it there.

> [1] 	It seems like everybody's got their own hurd site right now with their
> own work on 	it, and few of them are actually referenced anywhere on
> hurd.gnu.org. Seems to me it 	would be useful to either try to get this
> stuff moved/mirrored to the main site, or 	try to keep an updated links page
> (both are things that someone like me could be 	doing).

There are sometimes good reasons for own sites. There is plenty of ways you
can contribute to the official sites though, and we encourage people to do
so. You are welcome to add new material or concentrate on collecting
existing material, just as you prefer.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de