Re: Yaay! I compiled oskit-mach, except it doesn't work :-(

> But it compiled with no warnings ( native Hurd compile ).
>
> Initially it failed, MiG wanted to use i386-gnu-gcc

If you set the CC environment variable when running mig, it will use that.
e.g.,

MIG = CC='${CC}' mig

> it got about 10 lines into the boot and halted
> with some technical looking debugging errors.

We're the technical debugging types here, so we need to see those errors.

> Ok, maybe I shouldn't strip it... I try this:
>
> # cd /boot
> # cp /src/oskit-mach/build/kernel .
> # gzip -9 kernel
> # reboot
>
> Now after GRUBbing it, it prints about
> four lines and then reboots! Hmm... something
> is wrong.

Stripping should not make a difference, but of course any bug is possible.
The best advice I have is to use a serial console, so that you can record
the complete output when it reboots suddenly.  The oskit's panic code is
supposed to pause for a keypress before rebooting, so this must be
something that induced a hardware or firmware reset.