Re: dpkg-shlibdeps and /usr/lib, other dpkg stuff

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 02:31:01PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     Marcus> The issue is that it now uses ldd again to find out not
>     Marcus> only the name but also the location of the libraries used
>
> Why? I thought this was out dated practise in woody.

Beats me. We had a chance if Wichert would keep proper ChangeLogs. Maybe
you can find something in the bug logs.

> libc5 compatibility? Why is this needed?
>
> (I thought libc5 is practically dead, except for a few commercial
> applications which still may require it, eg. Matlab).

You should contact the dpkg people if you are interested in the details.
That ldd is used is a fact, that it breaks shlibdeps on the Hurd the other
fact. Removing usage of ldd is enough to fix it on our side, but it is
really the job of the dpkg maintainer to keep track of such issues and find
the solution that fixes all. We can only present him with the problem and
offer some strategies how it would be fixed for us.

>     Marcus> 2a. When using ldd ad creating the list of libraries to
>     Marcus> search for, add LIBPATH and /usr/LIBPATH to the -S option,
>     Marcus> so either is found. It should work, although it doesn't
>     Marcus> feel very clever.
>
> It might break libraries that really do belong in /lib?

How? I don't think so. Of course you are in trouble if you have the same
soname in different places, but we can't manage this either way currently.
(In fact, the whole setup is not clean if you look at the border cases).

> 3. Have dpkg understand the /usr --> / symlink and automatically
> translate filenames when installing packages?

I think this is too horrible. We can consider to do this when there is a
generic path name mangler interface (plugin-style) for dpkg, to make our
strategy more explicit. But it should not be relied on even then.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de