Re: dpkg-shlibdeps and /usr/lib, other dpkg stuff

    Marcus> The issue is that it now uses ldd again to find out not
    Marcus> only the name but also the location of the libraries used

Why? I thought this was out dated practise in woody.

    Marcus> by the binary. Because ldd finds them all under /lib in
    Marcus> the Hurd, dpkg-shlibdeps won't be able to find them via
    Marcus> dpkg -S, when they are installed under /usr/lib. There are
    Marcus> basically two approaches to fix it:

    Marcus> 1. Don't use ldd on the Hurd at all. It's not needed. Just
    Marcus> using objdump as it was done in a short period before ldd
    Marcus> was used again worked fine. The reason to use ldd on linux
    Marcus> doesn't apply for us (it was a libc5 compatibility thing).

libc5 compatibility? Why is this needed?

(I thought libc5 is practically dead, except for a few commercial
applications which still may require it, eg. Matlab).

    Marcus> 2a. When using ldd ad creating the list of libraries to
    Marcus> search for, add LIBPATH and /usr/LIBPATH to the -S option,
    Marcus> so either is found. It should work, although it doesn't
    Marcus> feel very clever.

It might break libraries that really do belong in /lib?

    Marcus> 2b. As a variation, find some other way to make sure dpkg
    Marcus> finds the libraries. I haven't made an exhaustive analysis
    Marcus> of dpkgs search functions.  Maybe you can add some regex
    Marcus> that makes it automatically look in /usr, too. If you find
    Marcus> out, let us know. It might be more acceptable than 2a.

3. Have dpkg understand the /usr --> / symlink and automatically
translate filenames when installing packages?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>