Re: Packages needing to be tested

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 07:03:33PM +0100, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > Well, the complete documentation of the status of the Hurd port
> > is generated by the autobuilder. The only problem that the autobuilder
> > is down at the moment.
>
> Can readers help?

The main problem with keeping the autobuilder running is the instability of
the Hurd. Long builds inside a perl script seem to trigger some bug in the
exec server or so. There are other resource leaks, too. So the greatest
benefit is still produced by fixing race conditions and leaks in the Hurd
itself. A first step is to find bugs and try to reproduce them more easily
(within minutes rather than hours, for example), so we can diagnose it
easier.

> A running autobuilder would be very fine ... I see
> more and more packages including Hurd fixes in their changelogs, but
> which are still not available in binary-hurd-i386.

I will soon update the autobuilder and get it up again.

> ATM, a person outside Debian usually needs the help of two insiders:
> the maintainer to fix the package, and another to upload a Hurd
> binary.

Yes, this is unfortunate. The best thing would be to become a Debian
maintainer and upload yourself. You can do this without maintaining a
package for yourself. It takes some time to go through the new maintainer
process, though...

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de