Re: Re: self compiled bzip2 does not extract

Hi,

The general issue with large file support is that it is not existing in the
Hurd, but we have the stubs in glibc. So you can call the stat64 etc
functions, but they will always return ENOSUPP.

A good configure.in check for stat64 will notice that this is the case and
disable largefile support on those platforms.
Unfortunately, the current configure check doesn't. This is an important
bug, somebody should look into at and submit a report to the people
responsible for the default check (autoconf?), so that upstream software
will work.

For Debian, we can use a work around in the package build script.
The fileutils debian package works around like this in debian/rules:

DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM=$(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM)

ifeq ($(DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM), linux)
        configure-flags =
else
        configure-flags = --disable-largefile
endif

        ./configure --prefix=/usr --without-included-regex --enable-maintainer-mode -v $(configure-flags)

Marcus