First go at a translator

I've decided to dabble in the translator arts. I'm trying to write
a simple gopherfs translator, I've looked at example code from ftpfs
and libnetfs and I'm basing my code on that.

I've written most of it and i'm trying to run it and see where things break,
but whenever I try to settrans it on some node and do ls, it blocks.
When I try to attach gdb to it, and the resume execution, it produces
an illegal instruction error in the thread library. I've also noticed
on several occasions that the current version of gdb doesn't handle
multithreaded processes very well.

So can you suggest any helpful break points? Is there a debug option to
pass to libnetfs? Are there any tips or tricks to make gdb behave with
multithreaded apps?

Thanks.

Igor