Re: Newbie-comments.

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 01:37:29PM +0100, Cord Beermann wrote:

> * i still encounter random freezes of the system (ping still
>   answers, but telnet and console are dead.) when i use apt.

I get these non-interruptable hangs while using apt as well.  It
almost always seems to occur during the "Reading Package Lists..."
portion.  Occasionally it will catch one final ^C, but thin it only
prints out a line of text that doesn't seem to be complete, and
unfortunately doesn't drop back to the shell.  The console often
continues to take input and just echos it back, but "screen" stops
responding in these instances as well (can't change to another window
to kill the process).  Thinking that it may be memory related, I tried
increasing the amount of RAM I have (now at 40 Megs from the 16
original), and increasing the amount of swap space.  Though that fixed
the random hangs during installation (a process that I've been through
a few times now), the problem with apt seems to remain. This has been
the most frustrating part of using the Hurd yet. Mostly due to having
to hard-reset and then deal with fsck'ing the partition on a regular
basis.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know why, when using apt, that
the line seems to wrap at 79 columns instead of 80? The progress
indication looks fine until the current speed is calculated and
displayed right-justified. This makes several lines come out and
scrolls the screen when, under GNU/Linux and xterms (and family), it
just updates a single line.  Just a mild annoyance.

Kevin.