broken apt-build

hi Martin,

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 12:22:49PM +0300, Martin-?ric Racine wrote:
> Given my recent problems with kernel-package also failing in passing the HOSTCC
> values recursively to the build tree (see the kernel-building saga about which
> version of GCC produces broken kernels, a few weeks back on this same list) and
> noticing that this is what apt-build would also do (pass values down via 'make')
> I am beginging to suspect that 'make' is actually what's broken; it apparently
maybe someone from the GNU gcc/ld/make guys can research this further

> fails to recursively pass compiling options recursively down a build tree, if
> they are given as environmnetal or commandline variables (it finally worked but
> only when I edited the kernel tree's MakeVars file by hand, then also passed
> the CC and HOSTCC variables as bash exports, plus as make-kpkg variables).

a friend told me how i could come up with a "dirty solution" to my
apt-build problem...

apt-get source <package> (do not use -b here)
cd directory
here comes my private little chaotic LDFLAGS_CFLAGS_replacement_script
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot (build package normally with debian/rules)

this would make it possible to use the build and configure options and
patch levels of the original debian package plus my needed changes.

bye,

Alex