Re: Transition packages for libghc6-*-dev

Hi.

On 30/01/2011 14:25, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> I’m looking at the state of the ghc7 upgrade right now. In a chroot, I
> installed ghc and haskell-devscripts, and then haskell-transformers
> (which the new mtl will depend on). I’m wondering: Shouldn’t that
> package Conflict with the old libghc6-*-dev packages?

I never worked on such a transition, so the entire set of implication
isn't clear to me. I'm trying to understand how different behaviors in
setting packaged relationships would impact user experience, could you
please help me to make my mind clearer?

First thing, the new ghc package conflicts and replaces with ghc6, so
we're sure that no two different version of the same Haskell library
will be installed at the same time: if they were, they would require ghc
and ghc6 to be installed at the same time, contradiction.

Now, we have to decide whether libghc6-*-* are automatically upgraded to
the corresponding libghc-*-* for ghc version 7, aren't we?

If we wanted to have the automatic upgrade, then introducing a dummy
package which depends on the new package should be enough. Otherwise, we
just don't add the dummy package.

Am I correct? What would change if we added a Conflicts: from the new
package to the old one?

Thanks, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@poisson.phc.unipi.it>