Re: My experiences with experimental Gnome 2.6

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 13:58, Daniele Venzano wrote:
> The second problem was more specific, and was caused by the missed
> upgrade of libpanel-applet2-0. No applet wanted to start giving some
> strange error about the configuration in gconf. I think this can be
> easily solved by setting the dependency of gnome-applets and gnome-panel
> to the specific version of libpanel-applet2-0.

I use following to install GNOME 2.6 from experimental:

ondrej@ondrej:~$ cat /etc/apt/preferences.in
Source: glib2.0, atk1.0, pango1.0, gtk+2.0, libbonobo, libbonoboui, libgnome, libgnomeui, libwnck, gconf2, file-roller, libglade2, startup-notification, libart-lgpl, libgnomecanvas, gnome-desktop, epiphany-browser, gcalctool, gtk-industrial-engine, librsvg2, gtk-smooth-engine, shared-mime-info, cupsys, libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintui, libgtop2, gnome-themes, control-center, nautilus, hicolor-icon-theme, bug-buddy, gtkhtml3.0, gksu, eel2, glade-2, gnome-terminal, gtk2-engines, gnome-vfs2, gconf-editor, gnome2-user-docs, gnome-applets, gnome-panel, gnome-session, libxklavier, metacity
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 600

ondrej@ondrej:~$ cat /etc/apt/gen-preferences.sh
#!/bin/sh

while read LINE; do
    if [ -z "${LINE}" ]; then
        for source in `echo ${SOURCE}`; do
                for package in `apt-cache showsrc ${source} | grep Binary: | cut -f 2 -d : | tr -s "," " "`; do
                    echo -e "Package: ${package}${LINES}"
                    echo
                done
        done
        LINES=""
    else

        KEY=`echo $LINE | cut -f 1 -d :`
        DATA=`echo $LINE | cut -f 2- -d \ `
        case "${KEY}" in
            Source)
                SOURCE=`echo ${DATA} | tr -s "," " "`;
                ;;
            *)
                LINES="${LINES}\\n${LINE}"
                ;;
        esac
    fi
done < /etc/apt/preferences.in > /etc/apt/preferences

And I am thinking about filling wishlist bug against apt, to support
this syntax in /etc/apt/preferences file.

--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>